Oh, and for the record, my brand new, totally inappropriate, never-gonna-happen crush who serendipitously ended up as my date for New Years Eve is lying naked next to me in my bed as I type all of this. Happy New Year, indeed.
This past year, I fell in love with another city, which for the moment shall remain nameless. I spent some time there visiting friends over the summer, and on a whim, I found an adorable little apartment and put down a deposit.
When I got back to Los Angeles, I packed up my shit, tied up my loose ends, kissed everyone goodbye, and hit the fucking road.
It wasn’t difficult. I thought I might be emotional as I drove away, but I wasn’t. Not a bit. Los Angeles isn’t a sentimental town, and the wild and shimmering version that belonged to me, it ended years ago. I’ve had plenty of time to let go. I still love Los Angeles, but I’m over it. This was the perfect time to leave.
I’m still getting used to my new surroundings. This place that I’ve found is beautiful and mysterious and deeply satisfying. I’m happy here, but this city doesn’t belong to me yet. It probably never will. For now I’m the one who belongs to it, and I’m content to yield to all the raw and uncertain adventure.
Auld Lang Syne (Live at the Fillmore East)
Through a strangely serendipitous set of events, my brand new, totally inappropriate, never-gonna-happen crush is now my date for New Years Eve.
I should be nervous. I should be downright giddy, but I’m not. Instead, I feel deeply contented. It’s the last day of 2015, and I’m filled with a mellow anticipation that is undoubtedly the most pleasant emotion I’ve felt all year.
It may turn out to be nothing, or it may turn out to be everything. Either way, I’m going to enjoy my evening.
Happy New Year, everyone. Tomorrow I will have lots to tell you.
2016 is going to be very special.
Every year. Even though I’ve been kicked off Tumblr, I will still post this every year.
1. Flesh without Blood — Grimes
2. Lime Habit — POLIÇA
3. Nightlight — Silversun Pickups
4. Killer in the Streets — The Raveonettes
5. Campo — Toro Y Moi
6. Pretty Pimpin — Kurt Vile
7. Last of a Kind — Neighbors
8. Easy — MOTHXR
9. Breathe Life — Jack Garratt
10. Twigs And Stones — Siskiyou
11. Can’t Help Falling in Love — Haley Reinhart
12. Waiting (PAL Remix) — Alice Boman
Does this seem right to you guys?
Waiting (PAL Remix)
I have a brand new, totally inappropriate, never-gonna-happen crush.
Thing is, I haven’t had a crush on anyone in a really long time, so even though it’s with a person I know I can’t ever be with, I’m trying my best to savor it in a slightly painful, low key, muted kind of way.
It hurts to have to play it so cool, but it’s nice to be reminded that my heart can still flutter.
1. 2000 Miles — Pretenders
2. Weathered — Jack Garratt
3. California — Grimes
4. Genghis Khan — Miike Snow
5. Death — White Lies
6. Tilted — Christine And The Queens
7. Wild Imagination — Kurt Vile
8. Distant Sures — The Cave Singers
9. Je t’aime moi non plus — Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin
10. The Hills (The Weeknd Cover) — ECHOS
11. Devil Inside (INXS Cover) — London Grammar
12. Master of None — Beach House
13. Appalachia Waltz — Yo-Yo Ma, Meyer and O’Connor
14. Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis — Tom Waits